Tuesday, July 19, 2022

The Black Phone

The Black Phone (2022)

Directed by Scott Derrickson

Screenplay by Scott Derrickson & C. Robert Cargill 

Based on the short story, "The Black Phone" by Joe Hill

Stars: Mason Thames, Madeleine McGraw, Jeremy Davies, Ethan Hawke, James Ransone,  E. Roger Mitchell, Troy Rudeseal, Miguel Cazarez Mora, Tristan Pravong, Jacob Moran, Banks Repeta, and Brady Hepner

After the horrific experience of watching that last movie, I needed to see a competent attempt of making a movie. This is one of the horror movies that I was intrigued to see.

1978. A North Denver neighborhood is on edge when a series of kidnappings happen. Finney Blake (Thames) becomes the latest victim of The Grabber (Hawke). Finney is trying to find his way out. He might get it with his little sister, Gwen (McGraw).

Watching this movie, I didn't understand how The Black Phone came to play or how the voices came out of an inoperable phone. Then, I got it. I was on board.

Can I say that Gwen was the star of this movie? She did all of the legwork. She was like Nancy Drew. Loved her fool mouth. The colorful phrases that came out was so good.

Usually, I would hate jump scares. This movie did have them, but they were needed to convey Finney's mental state throughout his journey. It was effective.

The criticisms I have with the film is that the middle of the movie dragged so much. If the movie was trimmed by ten minutes, I would have been better. There is also the matter of the detectives in the movie. They did nothing to help the investigation and they got all the credit. The fuck is that. There is also the matter of Jeremy Davies' character. He was scarier than The Grabber.

Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment