Saturday, July 2, 2022

The Evil Dead

The Evil Dead (1981)

Written and directed by Sam Raimi

Stars: Bruce Campbell, Ellen Sandweiss, Richard DeManincor, Betsy Baker, and Theresa Lilly

When you hear that name, you know what you are in for. This movie has been in the lexicon for over forty years. This is the first time that I saw it. I have some preconceived notions of the movie.

In 1979, a group of friends travel deep into the woods to a cabin none of them been to. When they arrive at the cabin, they noticed something uneasy in the air. Scott (DeManincor) and Ash (Campbell) find some demonic artifacts in the cellar to unleashes hell upon them.

I didn't know what to think about this movie. Hearing the title, I thought the movie was going to be a zombie/vampire movie. I did no think that it was would be about demons and demonic possession.

Being that this was one of Sam Raimi's first movies, I was impressed with the makeup in the movie. The beginning has me worried. I thought it was going to be shit. The tone and mood got better when the spookiness starts.

I had some gripes with this movie. I wish I knew more about everybody. I had no idea who was who in the movie. Who were boyfriend and girlfriend? Who was the brother and sister? There were also some weird shots; the upside down shot from behind Ash, that revolving shot in the cellar and the Dutch angles that bothered me.

Rating: 8/10


 

No comments:

Post a Comment