Sunday, July 17, 2022

Willow

Willow (1988)

Directed by Ron Howard

Story by George Lucas

Screenplay by Bob Dolman

Stars: Warwick Davis, Val Kilmer, Joanne Whalley, Jean March,  Patricia Hayes, Billy Barty, Pat Roach, Gavan O'Herlihy, David Steinberg, Phil Fondacaro, Kevin Pollak, Rick Overton, Julie Peters, Mark Vandebrake, and Dawn Downing

I was on twitter today and I said that I never saw this movie. I weas told that I would like it. For the most part, this is true.

The evil Queen Bavmorda (March) is scouring the kingdom for a baby that is prophesied to end her evil reign. The baby is smuggled out of her grasp. A farmer, Willow Ufgood (Davis) is tasked to journey to a faraway kingdom to deliver the baby with the help of ragtag group.

I know this movie came out first, but it felt like "The Lord of the Rings" a little bit. Does Ron Howard direct fantasy movies well? Not really. Even though the movie was nominated for Visual Effects Oscars, I thought they were not that great.

The action sequences looked staged. There are numerous times where there were supposed to be a punch or a kick and didn't connect. The costumes looked cheap. Middle school production level.

The only saving grace of this movie was Warwick Davis. I cannot believe that a 17-year-old (at the time) carried this movie.

Drinking game: Drink every time that a character said Madmartigan. Drink every time that you hear the Wilhelm scream.

Rating: 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment