Wednesday, July 13, 2022

B.A.D. Movie of the Week: Life Like

Life Like (2019)

Written and directed by Josh Janowicz

Stars: Drew Van Acker, Addison, Timlin, Steven Strait, James D'Arcy, Mark Famiglietti, Nicholas Baroudi and Akaash Yadav

This was supposed to be one of the movies that I was going to review for Pride Month, but never got around to watch it. Now watching the movie, I can see why.

Newlyweds James and Sophie (Van Acker, Timlin) try to adjust to a world of affluence when James's father dies suddenly. The father leaves his business and sprawling mansion to them. Sophie being the bohemian that she is fires the kitchen staff. Without them, general chores become too much. They go to Julian (D'Arcy) to set them up with a robot helper, Henry (Strait).

Full disclosure. I tried to watch this movie earlier and turned it off quickly. The biggest problem with this movie is Sophie. In the first twenty minutes of this movie, she is insufferable. She is this shrill woman that thinks she knows everything. She's probably a hipster. 'I'm so cool. Look at me liberating you. I'm so great.' I hated her. I wanted her off the screen.

I thought the movie was going to be about this robot integrating into this couple's life. It's not. The movie becomes this sad disintegration of a marriage. I kept yelling, "You don't need a robot helper. You need a fucking therapist." It was infuriating.

The movie was shot in 18 days. It showed. The editing was choppy. There were ten second scenes that didn't need to be there.

The biggest "fuck you movie" moment was at the end. I hated the ending. Not the epilogue. Why was that there? I didn't care for that M. Night Shyamalan twist. Eye roll.

Rating: 2/10

No comments:

Post a Comment