Wednesday, July 6, 2022

The Heiress

The Heiress (1949)

Directed by William Wyler

Screenplay by Augustus Goetz and Ruth Goetz

Based on their play

Suggested by the novel, "Washington Square" by Henry James

Stars: Olivia de Havilland, Montgomery Clift, Ralph Richardson, Miriam Hopkins, Selena Royle, Ray Collins and Vanessa Brown

When I revealed on twitter that I did not watch this movie, people are sorry for me not watching it. Everybody was praising it. I can see why.

In the pre-Civil War era New York City, a awkward young woman, Catherine Sloper (de Havilland) meets a handsome young man, Morris Townsend (Clift) at a party. They are instantly infatuated with each other. The trouble is that Catherine's father, Austin (Richardson) does not approve of the coupling, because he feels that Morris is only after Catherine's money.

I cannot express the endless ways that I adore this film. Olivia's performance as Catherine was transcendent. She deserved that Oscar for Best Actress. Catherine had a beautiful character arc.

Ralph Richardson as Dr. Austin Sloper was very good. I think the writers try to make him into the villain of the piece, but I could see his point of view. If some random guy wanted to woo my daughter, I would vet him as well.

I loved the costumes. They were made my Edith Head. Of course! Catherine's final gown at the end of movie was my favorite.

I would want to gush on the movie until the end of the movie, but I won't. Seek this movie out.

Rating: 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment