Saturday, July 2, 2022

Cover Girl

Cover Girl (1944)

Directed by Charles Vidor

Story by Erwin Gelsey 

Adaptation by  Marion Parsonnet & Paul Gangelin

Screenplay by Virginia Van Upp

Stars: Rita Hayworth, Gene Kelly, Eve Arden, Lee Bowman, Phil Silvers, Leslie Brooks, Jess Barker, and Otto Kruger

I was scrolling through twitter and I saw a dedication tweet to Gene Kelly. He was a one of kind performer. Since I loved Singin' In the Rain so much, I wanted to see another movie of his. This movie also has Rita Hayworth, win/win.

Rusty Parker (Hayworth) is a dancer at the nightclub that her boyfriend, Danny McGuire (Kelly). She had big dreams of striking out on her own. She gets her chance when a contest to be the cover girl for Vanity's 50th anniversary. She ends up winning the contest and her life takes unexpected turns.

My understanding from the title was that Rusty was getting the cover and becomes an international print model. Nope, I was wrong. 

The chemistry between Kelly and Hayworth were spectacular. The character I sympathized with was Danny McGuire. He was a guy that was in love with a woman that might leave him to something bigger and better. I enjoyed the songs. There was a sequence called Gowns that I loved.

I was pulled out of the movie when the side plot of John Coudair (Kruger) remembering his times with Maribelle Hicks. There was also the other plot line with Noel Wheaton (Bowman) trying to woo Rusty. Danny has this dance sequence when he he dances with a mirrored reflection of himself that felt weird.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment