Tuesday, July 26, 2022

The Gold Rush

The Gold Rush (1925)

Written and directed by Charles Chaplin

Stars: Charles Chaplin, Mack Swain, Tom Murray, Henry Bergman, Malcolm Waite, and Georgia Hale

I was in a funk and I wanted to have a comedy to lift my spirits. I searched for the best comedies of all time. I chose this one. There were some chuckles, but mostly side-eyeing it.

During the Gold Rush in Alaska, The Lone Prospector (Chaplin) is caught in a snowstorm. He seeks refuge in the cabin of Black Larsen (Murray) and Big Jim McKay (Swain). They have to survive the blistering winter together.

I have seen multiple Chaplin films and loved them. My biggest problem with the movie was that I could not get into the characters. Usually Chaplin would have a character that would be the emotional anchor of the film. It might have been there with The Lone Prospector in that one scene at New Year's Day. Cool. Having the love story with Georgia (Hale) in there was unnecessary and weird.

Rating: 6/10


No comments:

Post a Comment