Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Brightburn

Brightburn (2019)

Directed by David Yarovesky

Screenplay by Brian Gunn & Mark Gunn

Stars: Jackson A. Dunn, Elizabeth Banks, David Denman, Mike Jones, Meredith Hagner, Emmie Hunter, Gregory Alan Williams, and Annie Humphrey

I have been seeing this movie on film twitter for the past couple of days. People were saying that movie is like Superman, but evil. On the surface that is true, but I wish that movie didn't leave me empty.

A couple, Kyle and Tori Breyer (Denman, Banks) wanted to have a child for so long without success. One night, a spaceship crashes into their backyard with a baby boy inside. They decide to name him, Brandon (Dunn). They raise him as their own child. After Brandon's twelfth birthday, the spaceship calls to him. Brandon begins to have increasing aggressive behavior and his powers manifest in horrifying ways.

I understood why the movie was a slow burn to build the tension. Brandon's dormant powers are awakening. Sure. The kills were not predictable. That's good.

The "jump scares". I don't care for them. I think that they are cheap and annoying. The movie should have been called "Bad Jump Scares." I rolled my eyes. Enough already.

I had to stop the movie a couple of times with the characters lack in judgment. Why don't you call the police? Are you gonna call the cops? No? You're gonna wait, because the script told you? Fine. I don't feel sorry for you and your fate.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment