Sunday, July 3, 2022

Charade

Charade (1963)

Directed by Stanley Donen

Story by Peter Stone

Screenplay by Peter Stone and Marc Behm 

Stars: Cary Grant, Audrey Hepburn, Walter Matthau, James Coburn, George Kennedy, Jacques Marin, Dominique Minot, Thomas Chelimsky and Ned Glass

This suggestion was made by Avaryl from MovieBitches who said that this was one of her favorite movies ever. I will concur that it is a very good caper movie.

On the streets of Paris, Regina Lampert (Hepburn) learns that her husband has been murdered. She learns this information from an agent Hamilton Bartholomew (Matthau). Regina learns that her husband is not that man that she married. He stole $250,000 from the US government and they want it back. There are also three men that knew her husband that want the money as well.

I was unsure what to make of the film in the beginning. When Peter Joshua (Grant) had the random run in with Regina, I was confused. The plot started getting interesting when Tex, Gideon and Scobie (Coburn, Glass, Kennedy) showed up. I was giddy with excitement.

I had a feeling that the plot would have twists, turns and red herrings. I kept up with it really well. 

There were a couple of things that I didn't like. I won't spoil it. I will say that hangman, multiple identities and a MacGuffin bothered me to no end.

The movie is solid. I love almost every second of it.

Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment