Monday, July 11, 2022

Event Horizon

Event Horizon (1997)

Directed by Paul W.S. Anderson

Screenplay by Philip Eisner

Stars: Laurence Fishburne, Sam Neill, Kathleen Quinlan, Joely Richardson, Richard T. Jones, Jack Noseworthy, Jason Isaacs, Sean Pertwee, and Holley Chant

When I was looking at YouTube videos, I heard about the director did not work on Mortal Kombat: Annihilation to work on this. Anderson made the right decision.

The year is 2047. The spaceship, Lewis & Clark is on a mission to figure out how the previously missing ship, Event Horizon, mysteriously reappears in the outer orbit of Neptune seven year later.

I thought the movie was going to be dumb. The "science" of the movie is utter nonsense. I mean, exposition dump heavy during the first fifteen minutes. It made me roll my eyes.

Can somebody tell me how the hell can you board a ship, go to stasis, wake up and then be introduced to the crew of the ship?

There is way too many chyrons. I don't really care about them. Tell us where the action is taking place. Too many letters on the screens. Oh, boy.

The jump scares. You know, I hate lame jump scares. There are oodles of noodles in here. The VFX do not hold up in slightest.

I didn't hate the film. It was trying to be Alien lite, but not. The psychological descent in the film was nice. I enjoyed Laurence Fishburne as Miller. He was a commanding leader of the Lewis & Clark. Sam Neill as Dr. Weir was strange to me. I didn't understand his motivations.

Rating: 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment