Thursday, July 21, 2022

Young Frankenstein

Young Frankenstein (1974)

Directed by Mel Brooks

Screen story and screenplay by Gene Wilder and Mel Brooks

Based on characters in the novel "Frankenstein" by Mary Shelley

Stars: Gene Wilder, Peter Boyle, Marty Feldman, Teri Garr, Kenneth Mars, Madeline Kahn, Cloris Leachman, and Gene Hackman

Mel Brooks humor is the kind I gravitate to with his cutting remarks of the ridiculousness the characters find themselves in. He has only directed eleven movies of which I have seen three including this movie. This makes me want to watch his entire filmography.

Based in the Frankenstein universe, Dr. Fredrick Frankenstein (Wilder) is summoned to his grandfather's castle in Transylvania after he passes away. Dr. Fredrick wants to prove that you can reanimate beings with the help of his lab assistant, Inga (Garr) and his faithful servant, Igor (Feldman).

I never doubted for a minute I would hate this movie. It's almost fifty years old and I laughed so much in this movie. Gene Wilder's straight man delivery to the audience looking at them was genius. Madeline Kahn as Fredrick's fiance, Elizabeth was a riot. She's not in the movie that much, but she cracked me up. Marty Feldman was a treat in this.

I can gush all day, but I won't. I love this movie. There are some things I didn't like about the movie. They were Kenneth Mars as Inspector Kemp and Gene Hackman as Blindman. Whenever Kemp was onscreen, he would always do the same bit with his hand. All that time, I didn't think it was funny. Silence. Hackman's appearance was odd. I think that Hackman in a comedy is not a good fit.

Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment