Monday, June 27, 2022

God's Own Country

God's Own Country (2017)

Written and directed by Francis Lee

Stars: Josh O'Connor, Alec Secareanu, Gemma Jones, Ian Hart, and Patsy Ferran

I haven't seen this movie in about four years. When I knew I was gonna hate My Beautiful Launderette, this film was gonna get me out of my foul mood. Thank you for this film existing.

Johnny (O'Connor) works for his family farm in Yorkshire. He spends his days working there and his nights drinking, puking his guts out and has casual sex with any man that shows interest.

Johnny's father, Martin (Hart) cannot work, because of a recent stroke. A Romanian nomad, Gheorghe (Secareanu) to work on the farm temporarily. Johnny and Gheorghe develop an unlikely relationship.

Let me count of the ways that I love this movie. There is not that much dialogue in the film. You can read their thoughts through those lingering glances. I love that Gheorghe came into Johnny's life to give him love. Johnny is used to having things done his way. Gheorghe challenges that with compassion, empathy and being nurturing.

The tone, the pacing, and the chemistry were impeccable.

Rating: 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment