Sunday, June 12, 2022

Pride Month Movie - Day Twelve: Cabaret

Cabaret (1972)

Directed by Bob Fosse

Screenplay by Jay Presson Allen 

Based on the stage musical by Joe Masteroff 

Based on the play by John Van Druten 

Based on the stories, "Goodbye to Berlin" by Christopher Isherwood

Stars: Liza Minnelli, Michael York, Helmut Griem, Fritz Wepper, Marisa Berenson and Joel Grey

Since the Tony Awards are happening tonight as of writing this, I wanted to visit a movie I thought have seen. Turns out I only saw the first fifteen minutes and clips of the musical numbers over the years.

Berlin, 1931. A young man, Brian Roberts (York) arrives at a boardinghouse filled with colorful, including the illustrious Sally Bowles (Minnelli) that works at the infamous Kit Kat Klub.

For the longest time, I thought I knew what the story of Cabaret was about. Looking clips on YouTube will warp your mind into thinking was a movie was going to be.

The movie was more imitate than I thought. All of the musical numbers took place on the Kit Kat Klub stage. Nobody busted out into song out of nowhere. It was refreshing to see. Seeing the film, you feel like you are transported to Berlin during the time when the Nazi Party were gaining influence.

My only complaint with the movie is the whereabouts of some characters. You see them and they are gone. You don't know where they went some of the time. It left me puzzled.

Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment