Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Pride Month Movie - Day Seven: Priest

Priest (1994)

Directed by Antonia Bird

Screenplay by Jimmy McGovern

Stars: Linus Roache, Tom Wilkinson, Robert Carlyle, Cathy Tyson, Lesley Sharp, Robert Pugh, Christine Tremarco, James Ellis and Paul Barber

I was intending to see The Watermelon Woman or Victim today, but some weirdness with Amazon Prime Video happened and I came upon this movie. I was bored with the movie.

A Roman Catholic priest, Father Greg Pilkington (Roache) is brought to a new parish, St. Mary's. As he gets acclimated to the community, he realizes that his calling and his hidden gay life threaten to intersect.

I understood the internal struggle of Greg. Trying to hide who are you are from others so they don't judge you for being gay. I get that. 

I understood being scared, having internalized homophobia, struggling with dichotomy religion and being your true self. 

My biggest problem is Greg as a character. I felt that he was an asshole to everybody. I cannot reveal too much. I feel that some emotional beats of the movie felt inauthentic to me. It wasn't earned to me. I felt the movie was trying to beat me over the head with a message. I didn't like that.

Rating: 4/10
 

No comments:

Post a Comment