Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Pride Month Movie - Day Fourteen: XXY

XXY (2007)

Directed by Lucía Puenzo

Screenplay by Lucía Puenzo

Based on the short story, "Cinismo" by Sergio Bizzio

Stars: Inés Efron, Ricardo Darín, Valeria Bertuccelli, Martín Piroyansky, Germán Palacios, and Carolina Pelleritti

When I was compiling my list of movies to see this month, I wanted to watch one dealing the subject of intersex. There are not that many movies about it. I wished I would have like this one.

Alex (Efron) is a teenager struggling with bodies issues. A surgeon, Ramiro (Palacios) and his family stay with Alex's family home to try to convince everyone to have Alex has gender reassignment surgery.

This movie is depressing. For real. I understand that the subject matter is heavy. It has been treated delicately. I feel as though the filmmakers turned Alex into a sideshow freak. Everyone is so concerned about what's between Alex's legs. Who cares?

This movie made me very uncomfortable for everyone involved. I was checked out of the movie when a certain action happened on the beach. Let's say that. I was thinking, "Why do we have to see Alex's tits all the time?" "What's up with Alvaro's (Piroyansky) under bite?" "Should a parent see a topless female presenting person in the same room?"

What was the point of the movie? I don't now.

Rating: 1/10

No comments:

Post a Comment