Sunday, June 19, 2022

Pride Month Movie - Day Nineteen: Moonlight

Moonlight (2016)

Directed by Barry Jenkins

Screenplay by Barry Jenkins and Tarell Alvin McCraney

Based on the play, "In Moonlight Black Boys Look Blue" by Tarell Alvin McCraney

Stars: Trevante Rhodes, Ashton Sanders, Alex R. Hibbert, André Holland, Jharrel Jerome, Jaden Piner, Mahershala Ali, Naomie Harris, Janelle Monáe, and Patrick Decile

There was a time that I tried watching this movie and stopped because I was in one of those moods. Those moods where I knew it the first five minutes that I was not gonna like. I stuck with it and my opinion never changed.

The movie is separated into three moments of Chiron's life. One when he was ten befriending a drug dealer, Juan (Ali) as his mother, Paula (Harris) becomes addicted to crack. Then as a teenager, he is confronted of possibly being gay. Finally, him in his mid 20s trying to come to terms about being gay.

It bugged me that the Chiron had his head down through the whole movie. Say something! It was mopey Chiron throughout the two hours of this movie. It annoyed. Why was the movie getting so much praise and awards? Nothing happens.

Being a queer man of color, I did not relate to much in the movie. I understand that it's not a perfect exact journey to everyone. I did not see themes that were supposed to happen onscreen with blackness or masculinity. 

I see the same stereotypes that make it more palatable for commercial audiences; drug dealers, crack addicts, being "hood." I don't see the hype for it at all.

Rating: 2/10

No comments:

Post a Comment