Monday, June 6, 2022

Pride Month Movie - Day Six: Ah-ga-ssi

The Handmaiden (2016)

Directed by Park Chan-wook

Screenplay by Sarah Waters &  Seo-kyeong Jeong & Park Chan-wook

Inspired by the novel "Fingersmith" by Sarah Waters 

Stars: Kim Tae-ri, Kim Min-hee, Ha Jung-woo, Cho Jin-woong, Kim Hae-sook, Moon So-ri, Min-chae Yoo, Dong-hwi Lee, and Yong-nyeo Lee 

I saw the name of this movie pop on a best of list by Rotten Tomatoes. I have to say I was blown away by this movie.

Set in the backdrop of 1930s Korea under Japanese colonial rule, a young woman, Sook-hee (Tae-ri) is selected to be the handmaiden of a Japanese heiress, Hideko (Min-hee). The more time that they spend to together; the closer they become. Under the surface, Sook-hee is secretly trying to defraud her.

I did not know what to expect from this movie. It was like an onion. Layers upon layers are revealed. I loved every second of it. I was checking to see how much was going to happen. I was in for a wild ride. Every part of the movie tops another part. 

This is a movie that must be seen to be believed.

Rating: 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment