Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Pride Month Movie - Day Fifteen: Some Like It Hot

Some Like It Hot (1959)

Directed by Billy Wilder

Story by  Robert Thoeren and Michael Logan

Screenplay by Billy Wilder and I.A.L. Diamond 

Stars: Marilyn Monroe, Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon, Joe E. Brown, George Raft, Pat O'Brien, Joan Shawlee, Dave Barry, and George E. Stone

I have seen lot of dramas lately that made me depressed. I wanted to visit a comedy to break up a dower viewing experience from this month. This movie does not go there and I'm glad.

During the height of the Prohibition Era in Chicago, a saxophone player, Joe (Curtis), and a double bass player, Jerry (Lemmon) witness a mob hit. They go on the run by pretending to be new members of a female only band going to Florida for a gig. Hilarity ensues when Joe aka Josephine and Jerry aka Daphne meet Sugar Kane (Monroe) that throws a wrench in their plan.

I was surprised that the movie was based in early 1929. I love Marilyn, but her hairstyle was not accurate for the time. I had a good time with the movie. It was doing the trope of guys being in drag for laughs, but the movie was not making fun of people who wear women's clothes. Big kudos there. There was a smile on my face throughout the movie.

The one thing bothered me about the movie was the central romance of the movie with Curtis and Monroe. I didn't understand it. The movie made it seem that it was going to a love triangle of sorts.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment