Thursday, June 30, 2022

Pride Month Movie - Day Thirty: The Kings of Summer

The Kings of Summer (2013)

Directed by Jordan Vogt-Roberts

Screenplay by Chris Galletta

Stars: Nick Robinson, Gabriel Basso, Moises Arias, Nick Offerman, Megan Mullally, Erin Moriarty, and Alison Brie

Wow! This blog-a-thon has took me on a bumpy journey. I have seen some great movies and terrible shit piles. I've had a great time.

To close out Pride Month, I wanted to watch a movie that had a non-binary person in it. I happened upon a list on Letterboxd that suggested this movie. I have one question. Was this movie supposed to be a comedy?

High school is out for the summer. Joe (Robinson) is having trouble connecting with his father, Frank (Offerman). He tries to bring his best friend, Patrick (Basso) and the "weird boy in the school" Biaggio (Arias) to build and live in a house in the middle of the woods.

Again, I pose the question; was this film supposed to be a comedy? The "humor" in this movie went down like the Titanic. Talk about clunkers. I guess the movie was supposed to be a coming of age film, but it didn't quite achieve that in my eyes.

Being as Nick Robinson's big screen debut, I found that his Joe was just like Simon in Love, Simon-- which I did not care for. Both characters were stubborn assholes that didn't care about the people around them.

Was the movie trying to be them "growing up" and "being men," because they ran away from home so they don't have to deal with their weird families? 

The ending of this movie was a huge "fuck this movie" for me. Trying to wrap up everything in a nice little bow. I did not care for it.

Rating: 4/10

No comments:

Post a Comment