Saturday, June 11, 2022

Pride Month Movie - Day Eleven: Maurice

Maurice (1987)

Directed by James Ivory

Screenplay by Kit Hesketh-Harvey and James Ivory

Based on the novel by E.M. Forster 

Stars: James Wilby, Hugh Grant, Rupert Graves, Billie Whitelaw, Judy Parfitt, Phoebe Nicholls, Mark Tandy, Patrick Godfrey, Simon Callow, and Ben Kingsley

I was going to review The Wedding Banquet or The Children's Hour on Pluto TV, but they are nowhere to be found. People were dropping suggestions in a Facebook group I belong to. They suggested this movie.

Taking place during the Edwardian era, Maurice (Wilby) finds himself falling in love with his fellow classmate, Clive (Grant) while they are studying at Cambridge. Circumstances at the time threaten to tear up them apart.

Withe my limited knowledge of the movie, I thought that Hugh Grant played the titular Maurice. The beginning of the movie takes a while to get into. I was under the impression that the whole movie was going to be about academia and all that jargon. It wasn't. It fades away after ten minutes.

This movie takes some turns that I did not expect. Did I agree with them? No. Some of the characters actions were a bit weird to me. During that time in England, being homosexual was a crime and would send you to jail.

This movie teaches me that love will come in unexpected ways.

Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment