Thursday, June 9, 2022

Pride Month Movie - Day Nine: And Then We Danced

And Then We Danced (2019)

Written and directed by Levan Akin

Stars: Levan Gelbakhiani, Bachi Valishvili, Ana Javakishvili, and Kakha Gogidze

When I was putting this blog-a-thon together, I was looking at certain movies to see. I saw this movie in the top 50 best reviewed movies on Rotten Tomatoes. I don't get the hype with this movie.

Merab (Gelbakhiani) is a b-squad dancer at the Georgian National Ensemble. He tries really hard to prove to the teacher, Aleko (Gogidze) and to himself that he can advance in his dance career. When a spot in the main dance company becomes available, he has to compete with a new dancer, Irakli (Valishvili) for it.

I might sound like an ignorant American here, but I don't know anything about Georgian culture. It was that disconnect that prevented me from liking this movie.

The motivations of some of the characters were strange to me. I understand that this is Merab's journey of self discovery. Cool. The "relationship" between him and Irakli felt strange to me. There was no connection there. I did not get why Merab acted the way he did. His spiraling felt odd.

I had this one question when the credits rolled, "What was the point of the movie?"

Rating: 3/10

No comments:

Post a Comment