Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Pride Month Movie - Day Twenty Two: Carol

Carol (2015)

Directed by Todd Haynes

Screenplay by Phyllis Nagy

Based on the novel, "The Price of Salt" by Patricia Highsmith 

Stars: Cate Blanchett, Rooney Mara, Kyle Chandler, Sarah Paulson, Jake Lacy, John Magaro, and Cory Michael Smith

There have a been a slew of movies that I didn't like as of late. Before watching this movie, I heard from Harper's Bazaar named this one of the best lesbian movies. I would agree. Thank Goddess for Todd Haynes, Cate Blanchett and Rooney Mara.

Set around the Christmas season 1952, a shopgirl turned aspiring photographer, Therese (Mara) meets unhappy housewife, Carol (Blanchett). They strike up a friendship that leads to more.

Todd Hayne's movies are handled with care and brilliance. This one is up there with Far From Heaven, one of my favorite movies of 2002. I have never been so enthralled with a movie. The costumes, the score, Blanchett, Mara were superb.

The relationship between Therese and Carol is a slow burn. I loved it. The pacing was perfection. I was choked up. I wanted the world for them.

The only thing that bothered me was Mara was put in supporting at the Oscars. She was the co-lead with Blanchett. The audacity of The Weinstein Company for that bullshit.

Rating: 10/10

 

No comments:

Post a Comment