Saturday, June 25, 2022

Pride Month Movie - Day Twenty Five: Pride

Pride (2014)

Directed by Matthew Warchus

Screenplay by Stephen Beresford

Ben Schnetzer, George MacKay, Dominic West, Andrew Scott, Joe Gilgun, Faye Marsay, Freddie Fox, Paddy Considine, Imelda Staunton, and Bill Nighy

In the times that we are living in, I wanted to watch an inspiring story. A Facebook group I'm in suggested this movie. Since I've never heard of the situation, I felt a little out of the loop.

We are plunged into the the middle of the miner's strike in 1984. A young activist, Mark (Schnetzer) organizes a group of people in the neighborhood to help out the striking workers to help feed their families. The Lesbians and Gays Support the Miners or LGSM is formed. They reach out of a small village in South Wales lead up by Dai (Considine) to bridge the gap between the different groups.

The biggest problem I had with the movie is that being an American, I have no clue about cultural movements in different countries. If the movie could have explained more about what the workers were striking, I would have enjoyed the movie more.

I was worried that the movie was going to be like Stonewall, a big screen misinterpretation of events. I don't know if that happened here. I felt as though I was being manipulated a little bit. The swelling score, character's making heel turns, AIDS, gay bashing, all of that.

I understand that there were some real people in the movie and some not. Cool. I didn't love the movie as some other people would.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment