Thursday, June 2, 2022

Pride Month Movie - Day Two: But I'm a Cheerleader

But I'm a Cheerleader (1999)

Directed by Jamie Babbit

Story by  Jamie Babbit

Screenplay by Brian Peterson 

Stars: Natasha Lyonne, Clea DuVall, Cathy Moriarty, RuPaul Charles, Eddie Cibrian, Melanie Lynskey, Katrina Phillips, Katharine Towne, Joel Michaely, Douglas Spain, Dante Basco, Kip Pardue, Bud Court, Mink Stole and Michelle Williams

This moment is serendipitous. I saw the fantastic Snatch Game with Jinx Monsoon portraying Natasha on All Stars 7 and mentioned this movie. It was meant to be that I was going to see it during Pride Month.

Megan (Lyonne) is a typical high school girl. She is part of the cheerleading team,. She has a boyfriend that mouth assaults her with his kisses. She is a good Christian. She cannot get the images of women out of her mind. In order to put her on the right path, Megan's parents (Court, Stole) send her to "True Directions," an gay conversion camp to help her to become straight.

Full disclosure. I have not seen many-- if any lesbian centric movies-- so I am only basing my feelings of the movies with my own queer experiences. The topic of this movie very prevalent. There are a lot of families are taking their kids to these ex-gay camps to try to "cure" the homosexuality. It is a terrible practice that I'm glad is being outlawed in some states.

I liked the movie. I wish I would have gotten the motivation on why Mary Brown (Moriarty) started True Directions. Is it because of her son Rock (Cibrian) that is clearly gay with his booty-shorts? A clear example why the program does not work. Wait a minute. Maybe that's the point. Clearly the campers and the counselors still have the urges. I wish we got to see more of the other camp with Richard Moll's character and his onscreen partner more.

Mary tries to teach the campers archaic lessons from the 1960s. The gender dynamics have to be firm in her eyes. Girls like boys, pink, housework. Guys like girls, chopping wood and throwing a football around. The colors of this movie were intense. Certain shots assault your eyes with bubble gum pink in one frame then purple the next. Monochromatic dressing. 


Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment