Sunday, June 5, 2022

Pride Month Movie - Day Five: Tangerine

Tangerine (2015)

Directed by Sean Baker

Screenplay by Sean Baker and Chris Bergoch 

Stars: Kitana Kiki Rodriguez, Mya Taylor, Karren Karagulian, Mickey O'Hagan, Alla Tumanian, James Ransone, and Alla Tumanian

I heard of this movie a couple of years ago with Mya Taylor who plays Alexandra in the movie won the Independent Spirit Award for Best Supporting Female. Seeing the movie now. It was well-deserved. The rest of the movie does not fare so well.

Freshly released from Sin-Dee Rella (Rodriguez) learns from her best friends, Alexandra (Taylor) that her boyfriend/pimp, Chester (Ransone) cheated on her when she was locked up. She tears through West Hollywood trying to find him.

When I was watching the movie, I had a feeling that it was going to have the same narrative structure as Babel or Crash with interlocking stories that will converge. I don't particularly like this way of storytelling. I hate it so much.

The beginning of the movie was frenetic. The camerawork was shaky. I learned that the movie was shot on iPhones. No wonder it felt grainy with a bunch of lens flares.

I did not get the motivations of Sin-Dee. I saw shots of people walking repeatedly. I did not get the deal with Razmik (Karagulian). Why did he need to be in the movie? If the movie was about the friendship of Sin-Dee and Alexandra, then I would have like it more.

Rating: 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment