Friday, June 3, 2022

Pride Month Movie - Day Three: Cruising

Cruising (1980)

Directed by William Friedkin

Screenplay by William Friedkin

Based on the novel by Gerald Walker

Stars: Al Pacino, Paul Sorvino, Karen Allen, Barton Heyman, Joe Spinell, Don Scardino, Randy Jurgensen, and Ed O'Neill

I have heard of this movie. It seems to have a polarizing response since it was released. I have to say that I was confused about the intent of the movie.

There is a serial killer on the loose in NYC. This killer is specifically targeting gay men in the leather/S&M scene. Capt. Edelson (Sorvino) recruits Steve Burns (Pacino) to go undercover in the scene to help sniff out the killer before he kills again.

This movie is weird. It feels as though the entire movie was re-recorded. The ADR was in full effect. It took me out of the movie. The music. Oh, boy. The music used in the movie was atrocious. I hated it. It was weird alternative rock or something. It was not good. 

I was bored. I did not get the point Friedkin was trying to make with this movie. It felt hallow. I did not care for any of the characters. The ending of the movie did not make sense to me.

There was a feeling in my gut that the book was written by a heterosexual man that tried to be edgy. 'Ooh, I'm writing about killing a whole bunch of fags.' So? It did not feel genuine, like Walker did his research of the subject. Granted, I did not read the original book. The reviews I saw for it, the book had the same reaction as the movie.


Rating: 3/10

No comments:

Post a Comment