Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Pride Month Movie - Day Twenty Eight: Pariah

Pariah (2011)

Written and directed by Dee Rees

Stars: Adepero Oduye, Kim Wayans, Charles Parnell, Aasha Davis, Sahra Mellesse, Pernell Walker, and Kim Sykes

I have heard of this movie from the indie circuit. What I didn't know that this is a full length version of Rees' original short, Pariah from 2007. I felt as this movie dragged a lot.

Alike (Oduye), a 17-year-old from Brooklyn is struggling with two identities. She knows that she is a lesbian. She goes to clubs with her friend, Laura (Walker) and she is free to dress more butch are her people. At home, her strict Christian mother, Audrey (Wayans) wants her to adhere to be more feminine. The two worlds collide and madness ensues.

The first moments of this movie, I was hooked. The vibe of the movie pulled me in. The problem with the movie is Alike. I understand being in the closet, requited love, living separate lives. I get that. I felt as though Alike was too awkward.

Alike's parents were the best parts of the movie. Sure, they fought like cats and dogs, but they love their daughters. They want different things from their daughters. Cool.

The pacing of the film is my biggest compliment. I wish that a couple of characters were cut. A couple of side plots would be jettisoned. I wanted to take more of the family dynamic.

Rating: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment