Friday, June 17, 2022

Pride Month Movie - Day Seventeen: Holding the Man

Holding the Man (2015)

Directed by Neil Armfeld

Screenplay by Tommy Murphy

Based on the book by Timothy Conigrave 

Stars: Ryan Corr, Craig Stott, Sarah Snook, Lee Cormie, Camilla Ah Kin, Anthony LaPaglia, Kerry Fox, and Guy Pearce

I was going to watch Y tu mamá también for today. Barely ten minutes into the flick, I was checked out. I decided to switch to a movie that I saw the trailer on IMDb. I heard rumblings about this movie that it will have you in the feels.

The movie chronicles the fifteen year relationship between Timothy Conigrave (Corr) and John Caleo (Stott). They meet in a Catholic school and fall in love. Their families are against their relationship, but the power of their love triumphs.

I was prepared to be weeping at this movie. It felt a tug. It feels that the movie skimmed the surface of their relationship. I'm guessing that a lot was trimmed from the book. I have not read said book, but I was not invested in the relationship that much. 

When tragedy strikes, I was not a puddle of tears. I was thinking about those wigs when it was 1977. No. Hated them. I was surprised when Geoffrey Rush came onscreen or Guy Pearce.

The failure of the movie is not establishing more of the relationship in my eyes. If I don't care that much about the relationship, then I'm not going to be invested in the story.

Rating: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment