Friday, June 24, 2022

Pride Month Movie - Day Twenty Four (Part 1): Glen or Glenda

Glen or Glenda (1953)

Written and directed by Edward D. Wood, Jr.

Stars: Edward D. Wood, Jr, Bela Lugosi, Lyle Talbot, Timothy Farrell, Dolores Fuller, and Tommy Haynes

I've heard of this movie. My thought was that the subject matter was going to be offensive. Surprised that the movie treated transgenderism and gender reassignment surgery fairly well.

Glen (Wood Jr) is a "typical" man living his life. He is engaged to Barbara (Fuller). Glen has a secret. He dresses as a woman named Glenda. Glen is afraid to talk to Barbara about this.

I applaud Ed Wood for tackling the subject matter with care. I was confused with the style of the film. It felt like a PSA movie like Reefer Madness or something. The voice-overs were disconcerting to me. What was going on in the middle of the movie were is turned into a silent film? Was it Glen's nightmare? Unclear.

Two things I wished that happened in this movie. First, I wished we learned more about Alan/Ann (Haynes), except the anecdote the therapist (Farrell) relays to the inspector (Talbot). Lastly, the movie is just over an hour in length. It felt like something was missing to me. I almost never wish for a film to be longer, but this one could have been better with a longer runtime.

Rating:7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment